International Development Expert
Coaching : Assisting individuals to create personal brands
Branding : Assisting organizations to create suistanable brands
Training, Research and Advisory : for individuals and companies
If you think math is hard, try International Development.
Young Professional Communications Analyst
UNDP in Malawi August 2018-August 2019
• Produce communication materials, publications and tools such as factsheets, Information packs, Project briefs;
• Support development and implementation of communication strategies for UNDP in Malawi;
• Support communication of development results achieved with support of the UN;
• Support planning and implementation of internal communication activities;
Girl Effect Dec 2017 – Present
• Raising awareness of Zathu in his jurisdiction and any other available forums
• Assisting in mobilizing young people in his community to consume the Zathu brand
• Providing regular feedback on the ways that they have promoted Zathu
• Providing updates/information on any relevant issues in their community e.g. passing of relevant bylaws, creating of youth clubs, initiatives to promote youth issues, etc.
• Participating in raising awareness on youth issues in general
Co-Founder and CEO
Maphunziro265 Jul 2016 – Present
• Facilitate the development and implementation of fundraising and resource mobilization strategies;
• Projects Management including planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting at high level;
• Management of Maphunziro265 volunteers, coaching, training and mentoring;
• Facilitate the development and implementation of the Strategic Plan of the Maphunziro265;
• Building partnerships, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders.
Jesuit Refugee Service(JRS)-Malawi May 2018-May 2018
I was contracted by Jesuit Refugee Service-Malawi to conduct a career guidance and counselling selling with girls (15-20 years old) at Dzaleka camp who are in secondary schools now and secondary school graduates from 2014. The assignment involved the following:
• Preparation of career guidance and counselling workshop materials
• Facilitation using participatory tools of the career guidance and counselling workshop with girls at Dzaleka Refugee Camp
• Development and submission of a workshop report to Jesuit Refugee Service-Malawi
United Purpose March, 2018 - May 2018
Review of the Gender Study Report under PRO-ACT Programme. United Purpose is currently working on a Gender Study to support the gender and power-sensitive classification of Social Cash Transfer (SCT) beneficiaries and to develop a transformative support package to be delivered through the Pro-Resilience (PRO-ACT): Resilience building mechanism for Food and Nutrition Security programme in the project districts of Zomba , Mulanje and Nsanje, Malawi.
BroadImpact Consulting Oct 2017 – Feb 2018
• Conduct desk review of Country/regional/continental literature, publications on youth activist movements, youth movement websites and social media postings to identify and understand youth movements based on mapping guidelines;
• Conduct survey of youth movements by administering self-administered questionnaires to youth movement focal persons to collect basic information in line with mapping guidelines;
• Conduct in-depth interviews and focus group discussions with youth movements groups, coalitions, networks to obtain additional information and understand the youth networks relationships;
• Collation, validation and entry of data into standard template and uploading unto online portal.
Natural Resources College Oct 2017 – Dec 2017
• Prepare material and facilitating research methods modules
• Conduct continuous assessment of the students in the course of the module through class exercises, group or individual reports, tests and presentations
• Set examination question and administer exams
• Mentorship of students
Mhub October 2017 to December 2017
Mhub(www.mhubmw.com) is Malawians first technology and Innovation hub. Under this project as a consultant my job was to:
• Conduct desk review of publications on internet freedom and development of literature review
• Conduct in-depth interviews with experts and non-experts on the internet freedom in Malawi;
• Collation, validation, data entry, data analysis and development of final report.
Action Aid Malawi Sep 2017 – Sep 2017
I was contracted by Action Aid Malawi to facilitate two sessions on advocacy, and social media management for social change with Activista members in Malawi. The assignment involved the following:
• Research and development of materials used at the training
• Facilitation using participatory tools of advocacy, and social media management for social change
• Development and submission of a workshop report to Action Aid Malawi
Public Relations Officer
Malawi Human Rights Commission Apr 2014 – Oct 2017
• Develop Communication strategies for projects implemented by MHRC directorates;
• Produce Press releases, Speeches, and talking points on various human rights issues;
• Mobilise members of the media to provide coverage for MHRC Activities;
• Develop content for MHRC social media accounts and website;
• Acts as a contact point on all matters pertaining to media and interface with the public through the provision of information on behalf of the Commission;
Social Media Ambassador
Chevening Scholarships Aug 2015 – Jul 2016
• Produced blogs for Chevening events that are published at www.chevening.org
• Provided live tweets and Facebook feed for Chevening events
• Recorded and shared videos of Chevening events using Instagram.
Youth to Youth Empowerment Jun 2014 – Aug 2016
• Leading in the development and implementation of fundraising and resource mobilization strategies;
• Developing partnerships and establishing relationships with the Donors, Youth organisations and Youth Networks across Malawi;
• Project inception, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation;
• Management of Members of Youth to Youth Leadership team and its members in all the four regions in Malawi;
• Representing Youth to Youth Empowerment, at National, Regional and International level.
Zodiak Broadcasting Station Oct 2011 – Mar 2014
• Writing of Expression of Interests and Technical and financial proposals
• Inception, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation of Radio projects
• Material Collection, Scripting, Editing, Casting and Production of documentaries, special programs and magazine programs
• Networking with NGO's, CSO's, FBO’s, CBO’s, VDC's, ADC's, Private Sector and Government
I customise development solutions per challenge and strategy: Not every employee will do that.
My Journey in the Academia
PhD Development and Education Psychology 3 Years
September 2019 to Present
MA Development Studies 1 Year
September 2015-September 2016
Bachelor of Arts Media for Development 4 Years
February 2007-December 2010
Certificate in Research and Report writing 1 Month
Certificate in Proposal Writing 1 Month
Certificate in Sales and Marketing 1 Month
I write on development solutions to challenge status strategies
When I had arrived in China, I did all the registrations except the Resident Permit application. Som [...]Read more
I was working in the open space. Chasing one deadline that was giving me a tough time. I was directl [...]Read more
Backing From Experts
Life sharing with others is more fascinating
Chimwemwe is one of the social world’s truly great initiators and strategists, easily on par with the best of the strategy consultants and senior executives I have worked with at one of his establishments; Maphunziro 265 (http://www.maphunziro265.org) including government projects. He is a world-class human being and extremely professional in his presentations and highly educated in the subject of youth mapping and international development.
Architect | Social Entrepreneur | Meastro
A highly energetic, creative, innovative hard working
youngman. Though for a short period, I enjoyed working with him at
Malawi Human Rights Commission where he worked as Public Relations Officer.
Country Engagement Developer (CED) Open Contracting (Hivos) | Commissioner at Malawi Human Rights Commission (MHRC)
Chimwemwe is a an ardent development specialist.
He demonstrates great passion and commitment towards his work
in youth development. I would give Chimwemwe my highest recommendation.
Founder @mHubMw| Programme Director at Digital Impact Alliance| Social Entreprenur | Chairperson Girl Effect Malawi
Chimwemwe did well as a student at IDS
and showed his commitment to development and participation
by giving up weekends to take part enthusiastically in my weekend workshops.
Professor Robert Chambers
Research Associate at the Institute of Development Studies, UK